Weekly Menu Planning
So I'm feeling a little nerdy again today... but inspired to blog about an important topic.... Weekly Menu Planning. This is something I started doing back in October of this past year...and then once the holidays hit ~ my planning flew out the door. So, as of yesterday we are officially back on track!
Maybe this is something most people do, but the concept was new to me. So yesterday we (Justin was a huge help with this), sat down and put together meal plans ~they differ because he's allotted more calories a day than I am. (just another joy of being a woman, I guess:)
I was inspired to start this up again due to a great night out with my girlfriends (and former roomies) Andrea and Melissa on Friday night. We discussed so many topics, but a big one was planning. It's so weird how I can plan large scale events without a hitch,...but I feel so challenged sometimes at planning my day to day life.
So yesterday me and my honey, spent a good four hours putting together menus, calculating calories and then going grocery shopping. I'm hoping to make this a part of our new Sunday morning ritual, and I hoping that once we have a few different menus built up this process will go much quicker.
We spent well over 200.00 for one weeks worth of food! (granted that did include a handful off "non food items"...paper towels, soap, detergent, etc.)The next step I need to take will be: Couponing. How great would it be to save money on items you have to buy anyways? I few of my co-workers are great at this,it's made me think twice. I used to get kind of annoyed by this, because I thought ....geesh how much of your free time did you spend doing this to save an extra couple bucks???? I would think my precious free time could be spent in a million different ways.....but now days with the use of social medias..it's seems that saving money is a lot quicker and easier...hmmmm so I may have to give this a try.
Another inspiration of mine in this subject is Mrs. Jamie Sears (her blog has some great stories on this)~a former Casa Grande Cougar and mommy of 4! She is the master at couponing and recommends this site for beginners....http://thekrazycouponlady.com/beginners/
This whole "domestic" thing still freaks me out a little, but now that I've joined the "30" club, I guess I have to give in a little;) I'm mean if clipping a few coupons will help pay for my next "day at the spa"...count me in!!
Happy Monday all!!!


Hey Jenn-
Menu planning is a great idea! Something you might want to look into is a food co-op. We go weekly and it provides great fruit and veggies for a great price. We tend to eat healthier and try new things because that is what we get in our baskets. http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ They also have amazing healthy bread!
Good luck!
Kelly
Hey! We do the Bountiful Baskets thing too, and even though my poor hubbs won't eat the fruit or most of the veggies, it's still totally worth it. I give what I know I won't use to my parents and it's still super cheap.
Thanks for sharing that website from Jamie. I started couponing when Gracie was born and then quit because I got overwhelmed...now I feel much better...it even looks a little bit fun! I have to admit that I totally follow Jamie's blog because of her recipes. CREEEEPER!! If she reads this tell her I'm a nice girl, OK? Not a stalker. Really.