"There's no combination of words I could put on the back of a postcard... No song I could sing... But I can try for your heart...Our dreams, and they are made out of real things... Like a, shoebox of photographs... With sepiatone loving... Love is the answer, At least for most of the questions in my heart... Like why are we here? And where do we go? And how come it's so hard? It's not always easy and... Sometimes life can be deceiving... I'll tell you one thing its always better when we're together..."
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Networking...

~The way of the world is meeting people through other people~
                                                                                                Robert Kerrigan

 So last night I attended the "The Recharge Event".  One of my goals for 2011 is to try to attend a networking event at least once a month, which isn't always easy with  day to day life...but I'm going to try.  I find networking fun, for the most part~once I get past the awkwardness of it.  Last night Justin came with me, so it was extra fun to have a date!  This event was an event designed for all members of the Special Events Industry to get together and start the new year off on the right foot.  So, there were people from:
NACE ~National Association of Catering Professionals
WEN ~The Wedding & Event Network
HIP ~Hospitality Industry Professionals
AZSAE~Arizona Society of Association Executives
ISES~International Special Events Society
SGMP ~ Society of Government Meeting Professionals
MPI~ Meeting Professionals International
HSMAI~ Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International
Site Arizona~The Society of Incentive and Travel

It got me thinking about "Networking" and how powerful it can really be.  Its one of those weird things that can't really be "measured" ~ it's more of something the evolves into something naturally when you're sucessful and consistent at it.  I probably shook about 30 different hands last night and exchanged cards....I also saw some of my dear industry friends...but it did leave me wondering ~ was my "networking" successful?

 So I did a little research on the subject this morning, over my morning coffee...and I want to remember my favorite tips...so I thought a good place to put them would be on my blog~and share. 

1.)  Keep in mind that networking is about being genuine and authentic, building trust and relationships, and seeing how you can help others.

2) Hold volunteer positions in organizations. This is a great way to stay visible and give back to groups that have helped you.

3.)  Ask open-ended questions in networking conversations.

4.)  Become known as a powerful resource for others. When you are known as a strong resource, people remember to turn to you for suggestions, ideas, names of other people, etc. This keeps you visible to them.

5.)  Have a clear understanding of what you do and why, for whom, and what makes your doing it special or different from others doing the same thing. In order to get referrals, you must first have a clear understanding of what you do that you can easily articulate to others.

6.)  Follow through quickly and efficiently on referrals you are given. When people give you referrals, your actions are a reflection on them. Respect and honor that and your referrals will grow.


Post a Comment